In the mid-seventies, if you wished to visit Tommy Dittmer in the REFCO office in the old Merc building, it was a ‘navigate the maze’ affair. Some of you may remember those days. REFCO was growing fast and Tommy was obsessed with operating overhead.
He sat behind a small ugly desk stuck behind a bunch of steel shelving overflowing with boxes. Oftentimes the ‘theoretical’ hallway was obstructed with more boxes.
Tommy was one of the biggest futures traders in the business as well as one of the highest grossing brokers. In addition he was building a positive profile of other investment enterprises in
Many significant and well-known personalities navigated the previously described route to find Tommy flipping on and off three telephones along with his private line to the trading floor.
Tom always answered his own telephones. His memory was phenomenal. He knew the nuts and bolts of the business. Telephone calls were measured in seconds, not minutes.
It was evident to anyone with a brain; this was a former
An even more memorable experience would be to ride with him in his Mercedes at
Within a couple of years, REFCO relocated to exquisite offices on LaSalle. One morning, I think it was in the early spring, I was scheduled the following evening to address the executives of a Japanese Trading Company at the Waldorf-Astoria. The company was one of my clients; in addition to the
My spouse, I and Tom decided to lunch at the Pump Room; Tom had now elevated to a limousine & as usual he was on both telephones during the short drive north.
Tom enjoys a very quick wit, is very competitive and we both knew the other’s hot buttons & senses of humor. If we could subtly sucker the other into some bizarre or expensive deal, it was part of the drill.
I reminded Tom of my
“You gonna wear that suit?” He commented.
“No. I have several suits. What’s wrong with my suit?”
“Asians are very conscious of appearances. You might want to spring for a new suit. Particularly with the Chairman attending.”
“I can’t get a suit in a matter of hours!”
My spouse, of course, picked up on Tom’s line. Suddenly I was insecure about my suits. “Drop us off at one of the places on
“If I tell you a rooster can tow a box car, you get the cable. Forget
“You and I have different budgets! You being rich.”
The limo worked round trip, the tailor performed his tasks. Tom’s guy indicated “Mr. Dittmer directed me to select three suits for you. He seems to know your tastes. I also have a nice cashmere top coat, the top of our line; he insists it be included in your wardrobe.”
Obviously, I was a hayseed. A few weeks later, golfing with our banker. A very conservative banker & at the clubhouse he cautiously inquired if we’d put a down payment on a condo referring to the personal expenditure.
I dismissed the question not wishing to admit I’d bit like a giant goober due to my personal insecurity and ego about my image.