Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2009

HEALTH CARE

I am a Republican. In fact, a lifelong Republican. More specifically, a Goldwater Republican.
In recent years I have become disappointed by the tactics employed by certain elements of the party. Most recently I have received a large number of emails which are vitriolic in intent, almost hateful, in regard to the healthcare issue.
While I am not an economist, I do have considerable economic training and experience. The markets have been a most important sector in my life and survival. Therefore, I much prefer facts. Additionally, I like to seek these facts through my own effort, study them and attempt to achieve some perspective. The above very simplistic table reveals the increases and decreases in selected categories of USA Personal Consumption Expenditures.
Our current social and political environment, in my opinion, has again assumed a negative, almost mean, series of criticisms.
At one time, I was viewed as an expert 'problem solver.' In my experience, it is essential when evaluating a problem it be approached with objective facts and a sincere mindset to attempt to solve the problem. My attitude has always been: 'If you can add constructive input, critical or otherwise, to the problem solving effort, join me at the table. If your sole intent is to disrupt the effort, get the hell away from my table."
The share of PCE devoted to medical care is out of control. Obviously, Congress has been, and still is, bought and sold by the various special interests, including insurance companies.
I generally do not exercise specific opinions, but IT IS IMPORTANT THIS PROBLEM BE ADDRESSED IN AN INTELLIGENT MANNER.